Norecess released another handy utility which makes your work with the CPC easier. It is a command line shell, which helps you to start your programs faster, speeds up the screen output, autocompletion and much, much more. It is possible to put QuickCMD into a ROM, into your HxC floppy emulator or just run it from disk. You can download it from Norecess’ homepage.
And this is the complete feature list:
- a really fast text output (really appreciated for discs containing lots of files)
- no need to type RUN" prefix anymore, simply typing a filename is required to execute a file
- faster approach to execute a file : even if the pattern Shift+Arrows + copy/paste a filename + Control+LeftArrow + Control+Enter is handy to fast-launch files after a CAT command, I found myself more efficient to uniquely deal with program’s filename
- autocompletion : just type F then I letters then TAB key; if FILENAME.BIN exists on disc then it will be automatically completed!
- fully compatible with the system : you can launch BASIC as BINARY files the same way, you can quit to BASIC then getting back to QuickCMD, DIR command also supports Cat’Art, etc.
- extensible command system : instead of type a filename to launch, you can also specify a Resident System eXtension (RSX)! By example, to launch HxC Floppy Emulator Manager, instead of getting back to BASIC and type |HXC, you just have to enter HXC as any other command. Parameters are also supported, so by example you can use default REN command or Arnor UTOPIA’s COPY commands!
- respect the system: if an external command use the classic char output routine (&BB5A), then its output will be merged to QuickCMD’s user interface. This is possible thanks to usage of hardware scrolling provided by the system.
- handy shortcuts: pressing two times TAB key acts as a DIR, ESC two times acts as a quick exit to BASIC, etc.
- history management! It’s working like MSDOS’s DOSKEY does (use up/down keys)
- auto-launch. When QuickCMD is installed on your system, it will get launched automatically after all other ROMs will get properly initialized
- not intruisive: credits are voluntary kept hidden behind ABOUT command; the aim is to provide a neutral program, not a front-end for personal advertising or whatever
- clean, efficient and simple Z80 implementation using a mix of C and assembly programming language