Do you remember BSCs AyAy Kaeppttn SID player for the CPC? He started to work on it again and improved it even more so that it supports three SID channels on the CPC now. When running his new SID engine, the CPC uses about 100% of the CPU, so there is nothing left for anything else. Well, since this is currently work in progress there is no official release, but you can listen to a conversion of the song “The Last Hero” by Future Freak of Dexion. You can join the technical discussion about the player in the CPC Wiki forums.
You are currently working on your latest production and need a way to compose music for it? Then the Arkos Tracker might be a good choice for you. In the latest version, Targhan, the author of it, completely rewrote it, so it is available for your favourite operating system now. Besides the obvious support for the Amstrad CPC it also supports the Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, MSX, Oric, Apple 2, Vectrex and the Sharp MZ-700 and of course you can also import various chiptune tracker formats (e.g. from Soundtrakker, Arkos Tracker 1, Starkos Tracker, Wyz Tracker, etc.) but also MIDI or MOD files for easy music conversion. Let’s not forget that it also supports extra hardware that adds multiple soundchips to your system (like the PlayCity on the Amstrad CPC).
This is an example tune playing in the Arkos Tracker 2:
You got interested in it? Great! Head over to the Arkos Tracker 2 homepage and download it.
- Cross-platform (Windows, Linux, Mac).
- Manage both standard PSG sound and samples without any distinction!
- Support of AY-3-8912 and YM2149F.
- Unlimited PSG count! You can create standard 3-channel songs, or 6, 9, 32 or more if you want!
- 4 columns of effects per channel, including Arpeggio (via a table or inline value), Pitch, slide, glide, change Arpeggio/Pitch/Instrument speed, etc.
- Import from MIDI, AKS (Arkos Tracker 1), SKS (STarKos), 128 (BSC’s Soundtrakker), WYZ (Wyz Tracker), MOD, VT2 (Vortex Tracker 2), CHP (Chip’n’sfx).
- 4 players, from versatile to extremely fast, or slower but less memory consuming.
- Support of specific hardware: PlayCity (CPC), Spectrum TurboSound, SpecNext, MSX Darky and MSX FPGA (AKY player only).
- Sound effect support, shared among songs.
- ROM players available: no more auto-modifying code, a small buffer is used.
- Exports can be assembly sources or binaries: it makes it easy to integrate the songs in your production.
- Sources can be converted to any assembler.
- Each PSG can have its own frequency (including custom ones).
- Replay rate from 12Hz to 300Hz, or custom.
- A song is composed of sub-songs, all sharing the same instruments. Helps you save even more memory!
Chipnsfx is a music software suite with focus on a lightweight code and data written by CNGSoft. The player routine is under 950 bytes long and can be as small as 550 bytes. Like all newer software the softwore focus more than one system, so you can produce music for the Amstrad CPC, Sinclair Spectrum 128 and the MSX1. Other platforms can be supported by minor changes on the player routine (e.g. the Sega Master System). The tracker was already used in several CNGSoft productions like Bubble Bobble for CPC, Hire Hare, Frogalot, etc.
You can download the latest version from CNGSofts Chipnsfx website.
BSC, probably best known for his Soundtrakker, just released the source code of a new music tracker, which is also capable to play SID voices on the Amstrad CPC. Currently the graphical user interface is quite rudimentary, but the tracker is useable, produces an awesome sound and hey… after the source code release, you can write a GUI by yourself :-).
Well, the following audio examples stand for themselves:
You can get the source code and a snapshot for an emulator from GitHub. The technical discussion is available in the CPC Wiki forums including a description of the keyboard shortcuts.
Mr.Lou released a new music discs, which contains 11 songs by him. The demo code was written by Kevin Thacker, Graphics by BlueAngel and CAT art by TastefulMrShip. You can download the DSK image from Pouet.net (don’t forget to vote) and at the end of this posting.
Music disc, which contains 11 songs by Mr.Lou.
|Date:||May 3, 2012|